Work with Us
The Virginia Horse Center Foundation is a small, team-oriented organization. We encourage applicants to download and fill out the general employment form found below or to send a résumé with a cover letter applying your experience to the listed position to Christina Fargiano.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parent status, sexual orientation, or if all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department.
2015 Job Application
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Benefits: Health and dental insurance and vacation
The Virginia Horse Center (VHC) in Lexington is seeking a Controller to manage all financial aspects of the organization including all accounting processes, financial reporting, annual audit and internal accounting controls. This position requires a hands on manager who can multi-task in a fast pace environment and work as part of a team to accomplish objectives. The successful candidate will manage accounts payable, payroll and accounts receivable and will be responsible for all financial reporting, budget preparation, cash flow monitoring and horse show cost accounting as well as serving as serving as decision support for the executive team and the Board of Directors.
· Prepare, review and ensure the integrity of the financial statements of the VHC.
· Present the financial statements to the Board of Directors and appropriate third parties, including banks and governmental entities.
· Manage general accounting, accounts receivable, accounts payable and payroll.
· Ensure that all general account analysis, reconciliation of accounts and necessary schedules are prepared monthly to support accurate financial reporting.
· Assist executive management with developing budgets and provide analysis of budget to actual comparisons.
· Document, direct and coordinate all accounting policies, procedures and maintain a control environment adequate to prevent the misappropriation of assets.
· Monitor cash flow as required for the seasonality of the business and the large volume of disbursements related to certain horse shows.
· Work with horse show managers to ensure that all applicable costs are captured and allocated to the appropriate show for cost accounting purposes.
· Coordinate the annual audit and ensure the accurate and timely filings of all required tax returns, including Form 990, Form 1099s and sales and use taxes.
· Bachelors or Masters degree in Accounting or Finance
· CPA preferred
· At least three years of experience in public accounting or industry
· Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting and internal controls, including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
· Knowledge of automated accounting systems and advanced skills in spreadsheet applications
· Excellent communication skills
Please send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
The Virginia Horse Center Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The VHCF has many volunteer opportunities which provide proximity to our great events, worthwhile experience, and a fun atmosphere. Our volunteer opportunities are categorized in four areas but we are always looking for great partners of all talents.
Communications – Ensures all constituents and the community receive information in a timely manner. Tasks may include newsletter assembly, putting up flyers, story research and writing.
Good Will Ambassador – Provides walking customer service to visitors/exhibitors during events, improving overall experiences and satisfaction with the facility and staff. Tasks may include stocking brochures, coupon packs, checking TV screen advertisements and taking on-site feedback from visitors.
Administrative Greeter – Welcomes visitors to the VHCF offices (via walk-in, telephone, or computer) and helps them with requests. Tasks may include routing calls, customer service and routine office tasks.
Show Host - Assists with event management during VHCF owned shows. Tasks may include handing out ribbons, polishing trophies, acting as a runner for show managers, providing customer service for participants and their families.
Contact Edie MacCorkle at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.